Established and in operation since 1993. UNIC Asmara was officially opened on 15 April 1996 by the Honourable Minister of Basic Education and Culture as part of the branch offices of the United Nations Department of Public Information.
UNIC Asmara provides up-to-date information on the United Nations and its activities to a wide audience in Namibia. UNIC also disseminates information materials, major UN reports and documents, press kits, posters, fact sheets and brochures.
A Reference Library, open to the public, maintains a collection of UN documents and publications.
Mandate of UNIC Asmara the United Nations Information Centre in Eritrea:
- Promotes the activities of the United Nations’ Secretary General,
- Builds and maintains a positive image of the United Nations,
- Promotesan informed understanding of the activities of the United Nationsthrough the media, Non-Governmental organizations, and educationalinstitutions,
- Disseminates basic andcurrent information about the United Nations through the local Radio,Television and Press organs as well as through newsletters and press releases,
- Providesvalued services through a reference library where the public has freeaccess to a comprehensive collection of United Nations publications,reports and official records,
- Maintains a United Nationsfilm and video collection that is lent to local broadcasters,Non-governmental Organizations and educational institutions.